49ers Draft Panel: Who is a Day 2 Safety That You're High on?

Sourdough Sam

Mar 20, 2019
gzp2sogtsxwpuuxvxrci

The 2019 San Francisco 49ers Draft Panel rolls on with Part 4 of the five part series.

There's a large contingent of fans hoping that the San Francisco 49ers select a safety on Day 2 of the 2019 NFL Draft. The 49ers have depth at both strong and free safety in Jaquiski Tartt, Jimmie Ward, Adrian Colbert, D.J. Reed and Marcell Harris.

Still, there's room to add to the competition in the team's secondary. That's where we shift our focus in Part 4 of the 49ers Draft Panel.

The question is this: Who is Day 2 safety that you're high on?

Matt Miller, Bleacher Report

I really like Chauncey Gardner-Johnson from Florida. He’s played some corner. He’s played safety. He can move all around. If you want that “honey badger” type safety in this draft, I think it’s Chauncey. He would be a person who could be a target at No. 36. I think that would be a really good value for him.

Dane Brugler, The Athletic

The top-three safeties in my rankings are Nasir Adderley, Taylor Rapp and Johnathan Abram. After that Florida's Chauncey Gardner-Johnson most intrigues me. In his three seasons in Gainesville, he played strong safety, free safety and nickel and can help in a variety of ways at the next level. He can be a more consistent finisher, but he disrupts plays on a consistent basis with his ability to quickly read/react and fly around the field. His athletic and mental skills give him position flexibility and his leadership traits will fit well in a NFL locker room.

Charles Davis, NFL Network

Khari Willis
, a fantastic tackler out of Michigan State. I think he does all the right things, and he’s in the spots he’s supposed to be. He doesn’t miss tackles. This guy puts people on the ground any time they’re supposed to be on the ground. That’s what you need out of a safety, especially in today’s NFL. Also, keep an eye on Mike Edwards from Kentucky. I thought he did a nice job at the Senior Bowl.

Matt Bowen, ESPN

Delaware safety Nasir Adderley. I wanted to see more consistent play from Adderley on film, and for the Delaware product to take over more games versus FCS competition. However, this is a prospect who started at both cornerback and free safety in college, and I like him as a post defender in the NFL. The range is there, so are the ball skills. He can find the rock. Plus, he will come downhill with speed and fill the alley in the run game. At 6-foot, 205, I believe Adderley has some real upside in an NFL defensive scheme where he can track the ball down the field and use his coverage ability to roll down as a man/zone defender.

Daniel Jeremiah, NFL Network

I like Virginia’s Juan Thornhill as a pure free safety. He’s got tremendous ball skills, range, speed and production. He’s one that’s really interesting to me. I also like Darnell Savage out of Maryland. He can play low. He can play in the nickel. He can play as the high safety. Finally, I’m high on Ugochukwu Amadi out of Oregon. He’s another one who has the versatility to play free safety or to play in the nickel.

Trevor Sikkema, The Draft Network

The rest of the guys at The Draft Network have turned me on to Maryland safety Darnell Savage, and I have to say I'm a fan. There are experience and recognition parts to playing safety he still needs more games under his belt to learn, but his athletic upside is awesome. Utah's Marquise Blair is another guy who I'd take a chance on. He has a lot of traits to like, including the acceleration and speed to play single high.

Check back on Friday for Part 5 of the 49ers Draft Panel.