5 Things to Know About New Vikings RB/KR Kene Nwangwu

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
kw4ouvsz331j3nsm41b4

3. He's got fresh legs

While Nwangwu did most of his work on special teams, he also chipped in as Iowa State's backup running back, too.

But he tallied just 143 carries in four seasons, meaning he didn't endure the wear and tear of a starting running back. Nwangwu made the most of his opportunities, however, averaging 5.2 yards per carry in his career.

He rushed for 744 career yards and four scores at Iowa State.

4. Emphasis on education

Nwangwu majored in mechanical engineering and was the 2020 Big 12 Scholar-Athlete of the Year.

He told the Twin Cities media after being selected that his parents, Jerome and Ogonna, made sure he focused on his education even while playing football.

"If you ask my mom, definitely the NFL would be a Plan B. They all came to America in their mid-20s, they came here [from Nigeria] to get a higher education," Nwangwu said. "My dad has business finance degrees. My mom went pre-med. She has a master's [degree] as a nurse practitioner.

"But for me, I always wanted to play football. I knew I wanted to be an engineer as well, and football can help you be an engineer," Nwangwu added. "I always wanted to be an NFL player and I knew I wanted to get my degree. For me, the NFL was my fallback."