5 Things to Watch: Panthers at Falcons

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
eihghngc2tjssve8jttm

Allen looking to bounce back in new offense

When the Panthers and the Falcons faced off in Week 11, it marked a game quarterback Kyle Allen would probably hope to forget.

Despite setting a new career high in passing yards (325), Allen threw four interceptions, no touchdowns, and was sacked five times. Talk about a rough day.

But Fewell expects the rematch to play in Allen’s favor now that he’s been exposed to the Falcons defensive schemes.

“I would think it would be good for Kyle because he’s seen them before, and he has experience with them before,” Fewell said. “Obviously, they’ve seen him and Kyle, he’s seen some of the schemes they run against him, and therefore he’s now going to be a lot sharper and keener when he sees the same schemes again.”

Allen shares his new head coach’s sentiments.

"It’s good to have a game against them to be prepared against their defense and their personnel,” Allen said. “Hopefully, we come out with a better product than last game. Obviously, the pressure was an issue and me turning the ball over was a major issue.”

Another advantage for Allen and the offense this time around will be newly named offensive coordinator Scott Turner. With Fewell taking over, former offensive coordinator Norv Turner has transitioned into a new role as special assistant to the head coach, with his son, Scott, now calling plays on offense.

While the Falcons may have a beat on Allen’s style of play, the new twist of the younger Turner calling plays may provide an element of surprise for the Panthers.

"I’m my own person. My brain works differently,” Scott Turner said. “You’ve got 40 seconds to make a play-call, so the way I think is going to be different than my dad."

In the two weeks since the last time Allen faced Atlanta, his numbers have improved, throwing five touchdowns compared to just one interception, but he’s still been sacked 11 times in that span. With an injury-depleted offensive line up front, Allen could be in for another long day on the turf.