5 things we learned from Bears coordinators

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
ehisgkecdcinf95ubilv

Pagano has prepared for Brady six times as a defensive assistant with the Browns (2001-04), Raiders (2005-06) and Ravens (2008-11) and three times as head coach of the Colts (2012-17). But this is the first time there will be no fans in the stands—and therefore no crowd noise.

"You try to be as discrete as possible," Pagano said. "Now, there's nobody in the stadium and everybody can hear everybody talk and say everything. And he knows. He knows what you're doing, where guys are going to be. Very seldom is he wrong. So at the end of the day, it does just come down to execution.

"He can make you look foolish because he gets them in the right play 99.9 percent of the time. Very seldom does he not do that. So it's really, really difficult. So at the end of the day, we've got to play 11 as one. Everybody's got to do their job, do it to the best of their ability, execute. They're going to make some plays. We're going to make some plays. Just kind of hang in there, keep swinging and know that he's the GOAT. He's the best that's ever played that position, statistically, whatever you want to say. It's hard."

(2) No one was more surprised than Pagano that perennial Pro Bowl outside linebacker Khalil Mack dropped a sure interception in Sunday's loss to the Colts.

Mack was all alone deep in Indianapolis territory in the first quarter when outside linebacker Barkevious Mingo hit Philip Rivers, causing the quarterback's pass to flutter high into the air. It appeared that Mack would easily make the catch, but the ball slipped through his hands.

"He's got the best ball skills on the team," Pagano said. "You watch this guy just run around. You guys watch him before practice throw and catch and do this, that and the other. That would have been the last guy [I thought would drop the ball]. I would have bet my entire salary, OK, on him making that play. I would have. If they did it again, I would bet on it again. [It was a] freak deal, one of those deals where sometimes you try so hard and it just doesn't work out. I know next time he'll take advantage of it."