A Healthy Richard Sherman Hopes to be His Vintage Self in 2019

Sourdough Sam

Mar 20, 2019
ti2lmifpy4q6lmo8qarw

Richard Sherman was looking, and feeling, spry as ever Tuesday afternoon.

“I’ve got two legs now,” Sherman said as he jogged to the sidelines for the San Francisco 49ers second practice of OTAs.

It's been some time since the 49ers cornerback has felt like his old self. In 2016, he played through the pain of an MCL injury. In 2017, he suffered a season-ending Achilles tear. For the past 18 months, Sherman dealt with the lingering effects of his injuries that left him feeling inhibited for much of last season.

Now more than a full season removed from injury, the corner is enjoying a clean bill of health and finally feels like the vintage “Richard Sherman” heading into 2019.

“(For the) first time in a few years I get to move and groove the way I used to,” Sherman told reporters on Tuesday. “This season I’m able to just move and explode and just get to the spots I want to. I can stop when I want to stop. I can go when I want to go. It changes the whole dynamic.”

Sherman devoted the majority of last year's offseason rehabbing his torn right Achilles. He went on to appear in 14 games for the 49ers in 2018 and managed to perform admirably despite not feeling 100 percent. Sherman posted 37 total tackles, four passes defended and a sack in his first season in San Francisco. He was targeted just once every 12.6 coverage snaps, making him the most avoided corner in the NFL last season according to Pro Football Focus.