A race to the QB? Panthers have made moves to speed up pass rush

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
spmw6qofowjklmximbun

Marquis Haynes, a fourth-round pick in 2018 whose calling card has always been speed, played in just four games and recorded just four tackles as a rookie.

Listed at 235 pounds when he first arrived, it was always going to be a big challenge for Haynes to thrive early as a defensive end in the NFL.

But Carolina’s new-look defense offers him the chance to rush as a stand-up linebacker, which is a more natural fit. Early returns have been encouraging from Haynes, who fires off the snap as fast as anyone.

“We kind of felt making the move to a little bit of a 3-4 base was going to benefit him, and we’ve seen it,” Rivera said. “He’s very explosive off the ball. I think this suits him a lot better than having to put his hand in the ground. For guys like that, I think it’s a huge plus.”

Said Haynes: "I got excited when I heard about the new defense because it gives me an opportunity to showcase my athletic ability."

The defense gives all the edge players a chance to showcase their athleticism. The personnel truly suits the scheme.

"I think we have the fastest (group of rushers) in the league," Haynes said. "I think our whole group can at least run a 4.5. Can't beat that. When we get into passing situations, that quarterback got to get down."