A Rundown Of The Cardinals' Late-Round Draft Picks

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
rrzgddje5zhtjpkdlci4

Sixth round (No. 174 overall): KeeSean Johnson, wide receiver, Fresno State

The Cardinals went with a receiver for the third time in the draft following the second-round pick of Andy Isabella and the fourth-round choice of Hakeem Butler. Johnson was ultra-productive his senior season with the Bulldogs, finishing with 95 catches for 1,340 yards and eight touchdowns.

The wide receiver group was a weakness for the Cardinals in 2018, and while the Cardinals did not have a master plan to go heavy at the position, the board fell that way. Johnson hopes to be a part of a strong aerial attack.

"We can be really good," Johnson said. "We've got Kyler Murray at quarterback. We've got three receivers we drafted, including myself. ... We're going to all come in and we're going to compete. We're just going to do whatever we can to help the team win more games."

Johnson, of course, has a name pronounced the same as former No. 1 overall pick Keyshawn Johnson, another wide receiver. KeeSean said he was not named after the other Johnson but has met him.

"My dad's name is Sean, and they didn't want a junior, but he wanted his name in there somehow, so they named me KeeSean," Johnson said. "I've talked to (Keyshawn Johnson) a few times, and he's a great person. At the same time, that's just my name, and I hope it turns into something big."

Continue reading...