Abdullah on Staying in Minnesota: ‘I Didn’t Really Want to be Anywhere Else’

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
qew8eahw7urhzahwm68l

Abdullah played seven games for the Vikings in 2018 but played primarily on special teams; he had no carries on offense and just one reception for 10 yards.

With that in mind, he’s even more grateful for the opportunity to contribute over an entire season.

“Thank you to Rick Spielman and the entire administration here … for believing in me,” Abdullah said. “I know last year I wasn’t here for a very long time, didn’t have enough time to really show who I was as a person, as a player, really, but just loving what they saw on film and trusting in that and trusting in my agent and myself with everything that we brought to the table, it was important to me to come to an agreement with the Minnesota Vikings.

“I didn’t really want to be anywhere else,” he added.

When asked about Minnesota’s “sales pitch,” Abdullah emphasized that the team appreciates him for much more than his on-field skill set. He explained that the Vikings first praised his character – which spoke volumes to the running back.

“They were very complimentary of my personality and who I am as a person,” Abdullah said. “That meant a lot. It showed me it is much deeper than being a talented team.

“It’s [the] teams that build that camaraderie and galvanize every year to win those big games that really matter. It takes good people to do that,” he continued. “It takes humble people to do that, so I think we’ve built that nucleus of humble people, teammates and coaches alike, and I’m glad that they consider me someone who could fit that mold. That was the first selling point [for me].”

He went on to emphasize the importance of adding depth to Minnesota’s backfield.

The Vikings are returning Dalvin Cook, who returned last season from a torn ACL suffered in 2017 but missed six games with a lingering hamstring injury. Latavius Murray, however, who led the Vikings in carries with 140, signed in free agency with the Saints after two seasons in Minnesota.

“You need that depth and having someone who can be complementary to Dalvin. Dalvin is really fast,” Abdullah said. “He does a lot of things in the game that a lot of people can’t do, but I consider myself a very explosive and unique player. Being a complementary runner alongside him will definitely build a great backfield.”

Abdullah said he’s “here to compete” and hopes to have a larger role on the offense this season, but he simultaneously embraces special teams. For the Vikings in 2018, he returned 10 kickoffs for a total of 258 yards (average of 25.8) with a long of 33.