After Extended Lull, Vikings Appreciate Being 'Back on the Grass'

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
u2zf9uyrbdxbaiy9nwef

EAGAN, Minn. — Eric Kendricks' excitement to be "back to football" could be felt through the computer screen.

Moments after removing a mask — they are currently required in most parts of Twin Cities Orthopedics Performance Center — the Vikings middle linebacker spoke from an isolated room via video conference to members of the media.

"What's up everybody? Hope everybody is safe and doing well. Good to be back on the grass, that's for sure. Let's talk," Kendricks opened.

A sense of relief permeated his words, providing respite from a heavy-duty offseason drastically impacted by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and increased calls for social justice after the tragic death of George Floyd in Minneapolis in May.

Nearly eight months passed between the last time the Vikings took the field and Monday's first walk-through session for veterans.

In normal times, that would be a significant gap from what experienced NFL players have come to expect. Voluntary offseason workout programs usually begin in April and ramp up through mid-June before a summer break.

Under the weight of 2020, the extended window of time felt even longer but has made the reunion that much more special.

"Man, just being on the grass brought such a smile I saw across the board," Kendricks said. "Going from an offseason where you were just trying to find a field that was safe and you were staying away from people to a field that's really nice and pristine. It's a blessing that I get to play football, especially under these circumstances. I'm a person that I use that as my escape from reality. So just being out there and running around, I don't take it for granted."

Coming off his first selection as a First-Team All-Pro, Kendricks also cracked NFL Network's Top 100 Players of 2020. It was his first appearance in the player-voted list that began in 2011.

He's at a point where a normal walk-through could almost be cruise control, but players aren't taking anything for granted.

They've been willing listeners to learn and embody the best known health and safety protocols for preventing the spread of coronavirus and are readily making adaptations for their time spent in and out of the building. That includes wearing masks; adhering to distancing guidelines in the locker room, meeting rooms, cafeteria and therapy areas; as well as wearing contact-tracing devices during the day.

Entering his 10th season, Kyle Rudolph is now the longest-tenured player on the roster; he has been with the team through numerous changes and challenges.