AJ Dillon looking to form 'best running back tandem in the NFL' with Aaron Jones

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
vlk7qhsw8si48cgxiqlm

The sporadic carries were a big adjustment for Dillon, who was a workhorse at Boston College (845 rushing attempts in three years), but he took the unfamiliar situation as an opportunity to learn from two proven pros and to make every chance count.

As dynamic as the Pro Bowler Jones is, with more than 3,000 yards from scrimmage the past two years (2,188 rushing, 829 receiving) and 30 touchdowns (25 rushing, five receiving), Dillon still won't come close to the workload from his college days.

But with a 17-game season on the horizon and a continued commitment to refine his pass-protection and pass-receiving skills, opportunities will arise. Dillon caught only 21 passes at Boston College because throwing the ball to the running back wasn't a staple of the offense, and he posted just three receptions as a rookie in his limited playing time.

In the two OTAs open to the media, Dillon has caught his share of passes out of the backfield, and expanding his game is yet another way he's gaining comfort at this level. It certainly isn't lost on him that Williams caught 70 passes over the last two years in LaFleur's offense to go with Jones' 96 receptions.

"There's still work to do there, but to be an all-purpose back is something you definitely need in this league and especially on this team," he said. "So I'm looking forward to meeting that criteria.

"I definitely know what I can contribute, so I'm just looking to build on top of that and have more games like that Tennessee game."