Amid Uncertain Time, Devon Kennard Returns To Comfortable Surroundings

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
a3yfrgbordduj5vtehnv

Devon Kennard is taking this uncertain time in stride.

An introductory press conference was held for the Cardinals' first official free agent addition on Monday afternoon, and while that part was typical, the setup was not.

Due to the coronavirus, reporters lobbed questions at him from their living rooms via videoconference.

"We're making history here," Kennard said to the faces staring back at him through a laptop. "That's the way to start things off on the right foot."

There are going to be plenty of hurdles for Kennard in the ensuing months. He is joining a new team and a foreign defensive system, and it seems doubtful there will be a normal offseason for him to get up to speed.

Even so, the situation couldn't have worked out much better for the 28-year-old outside linebacker.

Kennard was shocked when the Lions released him after back-to-back seven-sack seasons, but he rebounded quickly by inking a three-year deal with the Cardinals worth a reported $20 million.

Kennard was a phenom at Phoenix Desert Vista High School before going out of state for college and the first six years of his NFL career, but now he will practice minutes away from where he was raised.

"It's funny," Kennard said. "I was talking to some of my buddies who I grew up here with and played high school ball with. We'd always have conversations, like, 'How cool it would be if I played for the Cardinals one day?' It's one of those things you didn't think would actually happen, like a what-are-the-chances type of deal. When it did, it was like, 'Wow.'"

Continue reading...