As training camp approaches, Broncos eager to unveil new offense's exciting potential

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
pwxbmd0txxxgfhxrhdnm

DENVER — After bringing in a new offensive coordinator and a slew of explosive weapons, the central question around the Broncos as the 2020 season nears is no longer what will the team do to improve its offense. It's simply this: What will Denver's offense look like?

When offensive lineman Elijah Wilkinson is asked that, he needs only one word: exciting.

"That's the only word that I have in my mind when I hear, 'What's it going to look like? What's it going to be?'" Wilkinson said Tuesday. "Exciting. KJ Hamler, [Jeudy] Jeudy, [Courtland] Sutton, [Noah] Fant, the other guy from Mizzou [Albert Okwuegbunam] … there's plenty of people, plenty of weapons — [Phillip] Lindsay, [Melvin] Gordon, you've got Royce [Freeman] back there too — there's plenty of people that can make this offense go and be very exciting.

"It's something we haven't had much of the last few years, that exciting pop, 60- [or] 70-yard plays, that type of thing. So we're really excited to get back to that type of thing and playing Broncos football."

The first steps to installing the new scheme under Offensive Coordinator Pat Shurmur came during the virtual voluntary offseason program, which was implemented in place of the usual in-person offseason workout program due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Through video conferencing, Shurmur and his offensive staff did their best to get players up to speed from afar as they prepare to work together when training camp begins at the end of July.

"It went well, honestly," Lindsay said. "I think it went as good as it's going to be. We have a new offensive coordinator, so it took some time to get used to it, but the plays are going to be good. There's going to be big plays."