Ask Aric: How can Drew Lock improve in 2020?

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
krqjekpssuzym2lw5upp

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. —Veterans are back at UCHealth Training Center, Drew Lock is leading some of his teammates through walkthroughs and the Broncos' season opener is just over six weeks away.

We've reached August, and I couldn't be happier that football is back.

In this edition of "Ask Aric," I take a look at how Drew Lock can improve in 2020, what the Broncos' tight end room looks like after Jeff Heuerman's release and how the left tackle competition is impacted by Elijah Wilkinson being placed on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list.

If you'd like to submit a question for a future mailbag, please click here.

Greetings. Considering that Elijah Wilkinson is now on the PUP list, are they going to give a chance to Calvin Anderson as a Tackle, or might they look on FA for a replacement? A Mile High Salute from the Broncos Fan Club in Costa Rica. - Oscar J.

Oscar, while Anderson, Jake Rodgers, Quinn Bailey and Hunter Watts could all presumably compete for reps at left tackle, everything we've heard since the NFL Draft suggests that the competition is between Bolles and Wilkinson. If Wilkinson isn't able to return from his injury in time, that obviously gives Bolles the edge to earn that spot. That said, several reports from earlier this week suggest that Wilkinson could be ready to return by the time the Broncos take the field for full-speed practices in mid-August. Even if both players are healthy, though, I'd still give the edge to Bolles to earn the starting job. Asked about the competition on Tuesday — before the news about Wilkinson broke — Fangio said Bolles was in the "best spot" of his young career.

"I do think Garett — I saw him the other day — has had a very good offseason," Fangio said. "I think he feels he's in his best spot both physically, mentally and emotionally than he's ever been in during his career. I think he feels good coming back with the same offensive line coach for the first time, I think, in his career. He's had me as the head coach now for two years. I think the arrow is up as far as it goes for Garett. That's easy to say here as we sit late July. We'll see how it unfolds. I think he's in a good spot as it relates to everything as much as he can be."

Hi Aric, I'm excited to see Drew Lock just like every other Broncos fan. I think the Broncos will go as far as Lock takes us. My questions for you is: what do you see as Lock's weaknesses and what will he need to work on during the [pre]season? — Orlando C.

Orlando, I don't mean this in a negative way, but I think Lock can improve in almost every area.

If you're a Broncos fan, that should actually be great news, because he played fairly well in his five-game audition to end 2019. Lock completed more than 64 percent of his passes, threw for 1,020 yards and recorded a 7-to-3 touchdown-to-interception ratio. He was sacked just five times in those five games, and he led the team to a 4-1 record. That, in my eyes, is that baseline for what Lock can in this league. I'd be very surprised if he played any worse in 2020, which is reassuring. Denver already proved it could win four of five games with Lock playing at that level, so I doubt Denver is going to have a major fall off in 2020. Now, if he posted those numbers three or four years into the league, I think we'd probably be having a different conversation. At some point, the Broncos will want to see Lock be the reason the team wins game. As things stand today, though, the team seems encouraged after Lock posted decent numbers as a rookie.

With plenty of room to improve, it's quite reasonable to expect Lock to post better stats in 2020. Lock's footwork, accuracy, decision-making (both in when to run and where to throw the ball), time-management and understanding of the offense can all improve. Decision-making, in particular, is an area in which most young quarterbacks need to improve. Lock's interceptions against the Chargers and Texans were both the result of ill-advised throws, and a more-seasoned quarterback would likely realize to not take that chance. He's talked about his gunslinger mentality in the past, but there's a time and place for that attitude. Similarly, Lock will learn when to dive for a first down and when to slide, as he'll need to stay healthy for the team to realize its potential. That's not a knock on Lock at all — and the fact that he already posted good numbers while he still has so much room to grow? That's an encouraging sign for what could come next.