Ask Aric: Where A.J. Bouye, Jurrell Casey would've ranked among the NFL's top free agents

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
qgyfzzf1mmgeckjwoza8

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Free agency slowed down this week, but the questions did not.

In this edition of "Ask Aric," we take a hypothetical look at where A.J. Bouye and Jurrell Casey would rank among the league's best free agents, plot out the offensive line, explain why Noah Fant is the team's clear starter and take a look at the team's existing wide receiver depth.

Want a chance to be featured in next week's "Ask Aric"? Click here to submit your question.

If Bouye and Casey were free agents, where do you think they would fit in some of the Top 100 lists? – Wesley H.

I like this one, Wesley.

The Broncos added cornerback A.J. Bouye and defensive lineman Jurrell Casey by trading a fourth- and seventh-round pick, respectively. But what if they'd signed them on the open market? I'll make my determination about where they would've ranked by using NFL.com’s list of Top 101 free agents.

At cornerback, Byron Jones came in at No. 9, Chris Harris Jr. at No. 25, and James Bradberry is at No. 38. The Broncos considered both Jones and Bradberry before trading for Bouye, and Harris was obviously on the roster for the last nine seasons. At 28 years old, Bouye is younger than Harris and is more proven than Bradberry. He's also a big, versatile player that has a knack for the ball. Let's slot Bouye just above Harris at No. 24.

In regards to Casey, we're comparing him to Chris Jones (No. 2), D.J. Reader (No. 29) and Javon Hargrave (No. 31). Jones is dominant and might have been the best available defender in football. Casey probably isn't at that level at this point in his career. While Reader and Hargrave are both several years younger than Casey, neither of the younger players has made a Pro Bowl. If Casey had slipped in the last few seasons, I would be tempted to rank him behind these players. But Casey has made five consecutive Pro Bowls, and he was dominant against the Ravens in the playoffs just a few months ago. For the next two or three seasons — which is what Casey has left on his deal — I'm going with the proven commodity. We're putting him all the way up at No. 26, ahead of Jameis Winston and Dante Fowler Jr.

Add in Justin Simmons (No. 7) — whom the Broncos used the franchise tag on — Melvin Gordon (No. 35) and Graham Glasgow (No. 44), and Denver assembled a group that includes five top-50 players.

Aric, we all loved watching Von Miller beat up on Cam Newton during the Super Bowl. But we have not seen that really since. With Chubb coming back, does the team have what it needs for the defense? – Eric B.

In fairness, Miller has been plenty dominant since Super Bowl 50. He earned a first-team All-Pro nod in 2016, and he's made the Pro Bowl in each of the last four seasons. He has posted three double-digit sack seasons, and his 46 sacks since 2016 rank fifth in the league. And with a healthy Bradley Chubb in 2018, Miller recorded 14.5 sacks, which was the second-highest total of his career. Assuming Chubb comes back and Jurrell Casey makes the expected impact in the middle of the defense, I think we'll see a big bounce-back season from Miller in 2020. The Broncos will have to prove they're capable of holding up against the league's best offenses in the back end, but the pass rush shouldn't be a problem. Remember last year, when the Broncos didn't record a sack until Week 4? I don't think that's going to be an issue this season.