Ask Aric: Who will lead the Broncos in sacks this year?

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
bmidvhojdwxvvrmemqqx

Since lock down I have been watching some games from the 70s through 90s and I after this years off-season I believe we could see the re-emergence of the 'Orange Crush' defense. As much as I was a fan of the No-Fly Zone we saw during the Manning era, I am more excited by the defense we have put together this year. My question for you is, how do you think this years defense will compare to some of the great squads we have seen previously in Broncos Country? And secondly who do you think will lead the team in sacks this year? - Scott O.

Scott, on paper, this defense should be relatively improved from a unit that already ranked 10th in points allowed in 2019. Most starters now have a season under their belt in Fangio's system, Bradley Chubb and Bryce Callahan should be healthy, they've added A.J. Bouye and Jurrell Casey and the depth is better at several positions. The front seven, in particular, seems like it will be a headache for opposing offenses. I strongly doubt the Broncos will go another three weeks to start the season without a sack. I feel the same way about turnovers. The Broncos didn't record a takeaway until Week 5 last year, but I wouldn't count on that to happen again. The pass rush should get to quarterbacks, which would give Bouye, Callahan, Kareem Jackson and Justin Simmons the chance to make plays.

I'm not ready, though, to say this defense will rank among the best in franchise — and frankly, league — history. I still have questions about the cornerback position, as I mentioned above. If that group plays to its potential, this could be one of Fangio's patented dominant defenses. But in a passing-centric league, the cornerbacks will have to prove they're up to the task.

Von Miller seems as motivated as ever to rebound and chase the NFL sack lead. In 2018, however, Chubb was right on his heels, as Miller finished with 14.5 sacks and Chubb finished with 12 sacks. In a Comeback Player of the Year-worthy season, I suspect Chubb will take over the team sack lead for the first time in his career.

Aric, first game is against Titans. What's the best way to stop Henry and who was successful at doing so in 2019 and what was most effective scheme? - Bill K.

Bill, as you seem well aware of, it's no easy task to stop Henry. The 6-foot-3, 247-pound running back is an absolute bruiser. Just watch this 99-yard touchdown run against Jacksonville to see how difficult it is to stop him.

The good news? The Broncos have a blueprint for stopping Henry. Denver was by far the most successful team in 2019 at slowing him down. They held him to 28 yards and 1.87 yards per carry in a 16-0 Week 6 win over the Titans. The Jaguars held him to 44 yards and a touchdown on 17 carries a few weeks earlier, but otherwise no one kept him below 60 yards. He had seven games of at least 100 yards over the final nine games of the year and recorded 1,273 yards over an eight-game stretch.

I don't necessarily believe that a certain scheme is the answer to stop Henry, I just think you have to dedicate the proper resources and have players with the right mentality. Does that mean having eight men in the box whenever Henry is on the field in running situations? Perhaps.

From a personnel standpoint, the Broncos have the right pieces. The run defense struggled last year — particularly in the second half of a Week 4 against the Jaguars — and ranked 30th in the league through the first four weeks after allowing 149.3 yards per game. But then nose tackle Mike Purcell and linebacker Alexander Johnson began to start, and safety Kareem Jackson returned from injury. The physicality of those three players turned the running defense around almost instantaneously. In their first game together — Week 5 against the Chargers — the Broncos allowed just 35 total yards on 16 carries. Over final 12 games of the season, the Broncos' defense allowed the seventh-fewest rushing yards per game (98.8).

All of those factors lead me to believe that the Broncos should be able to corral Henry again — but here's the one difference. Instead of Marcus Mariota, the Titans now have Ryan Tannehill under center. Mariota was 7-of-18 for 63 yards, no touchdowns and two interceptions against the Broncos last season. Quite simply, he wasn't very much of a threat, and the Broncos could focus their attention on Henry. Tannehill, meanwhile, had a 117.5 quarterback rating over the rest of the season after he replaced Mariota in Denver. He also was named the NFL's Comeback Player of the Year. Tannehill will obviously demand more attention in Week 1, which leads to this question: Faced with two options, will the Broncos dare Tannehill or Henry to beat them?

When do single-game tickets go on sale? - Shawn D.

We've received this question several times, and the short answer is that the Broncos haven't yet announced that date. Last year, the date to buy single-game tickets was announced on June 21, and they became available to purchase on July 16. Keep your eyes on DenverBroncos.com — we'll let you know as soon as we do.

With the history of undrafted rookies, whose is the name to watch to make the 53-man roster? - Mark S.

You're right, Mark — there is a long history of undrafted players finding success in Denver. In 15 of the last 16 seasons, at least one undrafted rookie has made the initial 53-man roster. Chris Harris Jr., C.J. Anderson and Phillip Lindsay all became Pro Bowlers during that stretch.

This year, I'd keep my eye on three players: CB Essang Bassey, S Douglas Coleman III and RB LeVante Bellamy.

Bassey can play slot corner, which could provide assurance in the Broncos' secondary behind Callahan. Coleman joins a position group that is relatively thin behind Simmons and Jackson, and he had a knack for the football in college. Finally, Bellamy put up crazy numbers at Western Michigan, as he rushed for 1,472 yards and 23 touchdowns in his final season. The level of competition and the 617 total career carries likely scared some teams off, but he could potentially push Royce Freeman for a roster spot.