Back from Injury, Hercules Mata’afa Steps in at 3-Tech

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
nifsla6p1lulmubtfufc

But Mata’afa suffered a torn ACL in the last week of OTAs, prematurely ending his first season in the NFL before training camp.

“It’s good to be back. It was pretty hard … my first full year without football since I redshirted,” Mata’afa said. “I just came in for treatment every day and made sure my body was right for these moments right now.”

That included adding 20 pounds to help out on the interior of the defensive line, a spot Mata’afa isn’t entirely unfamiliar with.

“I played 3-tech in college, so it’s not new to be me, it’s just different schemes,” Mata’afa said. “Getting used to the new scheme is something I’m working on.

“That’s where I played all college, and it’s where a lot of people told me I couldn’t play coming out of college [and in the NFL],” Mata’afa added. “It feels good to be able to make my mark. I am where I am and I’m happy to be here.”

Much like Zimmer, Vikings Defensive Coordinator George Edwards said earlier this week that Mata’afa has turned some heads as spring practices roll on.

“He’s really embraced it. He is playing the run well, he has a good pad level,” Edwards said. “His quickness and his size rushing the pass rusher is really showing up in these first couple practices.

“He ended up on injured reserve last year, and he really worked his butt off throughout last season and this whole offseason, getting him prepared to go,” Edwards later added. “He has put on some good girth, and it really hasn’t affected his play. So his quickness is really beneficial inside.”

The Vikings have established veterans on the interior in Pro Bowler Linval Joseph and Shamar Stephen, who returned to Minnesota after spending the 2018 season in Seattle.