Backfield will have major part to play in Packers’ passing game

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
cdyvs5mtgklhkskuabza

“When you’re able to get a back who can catch or you can move out … personnel-wise, it can be a nightmare,” said fullback Danny Vitale, who caught 135 passes at Northwestern. “Scheme-wise, they’re going to run their schemes. But when you get personnel matchups that are favorable for you, that’s when you start doing some damage.”

Former fourth-round pick Jamaal Williams has been a reliable fixture in the Packers’ passing game throughout his first two NFL seasons. He’s proven himself to be a sturdy and alert pass protector, while also contributing as a pass catcher.

The 6-foot, 213-pound running back has hauled in 52 passes for 472 yards (9.1 avg.) with two touchdowns. While that aspect of the job is nothing new for Williams, LaFleur’s penchant for getting running backs in space is alluring.

Aaron Jones, who led the Packers with 728 rushing yards last year, believes LaFleur’s system will enhance his skills as both a runner out of the backfield and receiver in the passing game.

“It’s good for me because it finally shows I can get the ball in the open field,” said Jones, who’s averaged 5.5 yards per carry through his first two seasons. “I can run some routes, run some choice routes, be in the ‘1’ position, run some little slants. It really just shows that I can do more than just run the ball. I can catch it.”