‘Battler’ Josh Kline Helping Set the Tone for Vikings O-Line

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
pp1igapl3af9hr40zmpi

The 29-year-old stayed on the field following Monday’s practice and later noted nonchalantly that Bradbury isn’t the only one with room to improve. He called the center a “great player” who’s continuously learning.

“As a rookie, you just have to take it day by day and just get better, just like us vets,” Kline said. “We as a unit, we need to start building stuff together, which we are, and we all just need to take it day by day.

“But Garrett’s getting there, he’s learning. He’s a quick learner – he’s very smart – so we have a lot of confidence in him,” Kline added.

Bradbury said that playing to the left of Kline is “awesome” and explained that Kline is a man of few words, but he makes his words – and his actions – count when on the field.

“At first, he didn’t talk at all,” Bradbury said with a chuckle. “In the locker room he’s kind of a quiet guy, but when we’re out here he’s talking, there’s no lack of communication.

“You can tell he’s played a lot of football, and he’s played a lot of good football, and there’s a reason they brought him here. He’s a hell of a player,” Bradbury continued. “I love playing next to a guy like that, just because there’s no thinking. If there’s any gray area for me, he makes me right. I appreciate him and all he does, and I’ll just keep trying to build that chemistry.”

When Bradbury’s quote – “there’s no thinking” – was relayed to Kline, he thought a moment before responding.

He agreed that the statement was a compliment for someone in his position.

“As offensive linemen, we just pride ourselves on trying to be smart because there’s a lot of stuff out there, the defense gives you a lot of looks and everything, and you’ve got to be prepared for anything,” Kline said. “You always have to be smart and tough and all that good stuff, but that’s what they’re building here, and that’s the type of guys they have.”

Kline and his comrades on the line are working under Offensive Coordinator Kevin Stefanski, who is entering his first full season in the role.

Stefanski also spoke highly of Kline, the way he’s transitioned to a new team and how he suits not only the Vikings offensive scheme but also the culture of Minnesota’s offensive line.

“Josh is doing a nice job. I think [Head Coach Mike Zimmer] the other day called him a battler, and I think that is a great term,” Stefanski said. “He has been on successful teams, and I appreciate having him out here. We have talked a lot over the course of having him in the building, and there are certain things he has seen over his time.”

Stefanski said that Kline helps “set the tone” for the position group. And it doesn’t hurt that he spent the first three seasons of his career in New England, during which he earned a Super Bowl ring.

“It means a lot [that he has that experience]; that is what we are trying to do,” Stefanski said. “He has [a ring], so I am all ears when he’s talking.”