Bears draft RB Herbert in sixth round

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
v471n6ckkkwwnzekvaxq

During a Zoom call with the Chicago media, Herbert characterized his decision to transfer to Virginia Tech as "a business decision."

"The coaches and the whole team just kind of gathered around me and welcomed me in," Herbert said. "They did a great job of allowing me to go out there and play and use me in a lot of different ways and get the ball in my hands. I really think they believed in me to do what I can do on the field. That helped me a lot."

As a runner, Herbert described himself as a "home run hitter."

"I'm able to do everything out of the backfield," he said. "Inside, outside zone, catch the ball. I feel like I can do everything, all-purpose back."

Herbert's ability to contribute on special teams no doubt will appeal to the Bears. Last season at Virginia Tech, he not only returned kickoffs but played on the punt return, punt coverage and onside kick recovery units.

"I take a lot of pride in special teams," Herbert said. "That's one of the biggest things we pride ourselves in at VT. Being able to help out on special teams one way or another is big. I feel like I can help in any aspect of special teams."

Herbert starred at American Heritage High School in Plantation, Fla., where his head coach was Bears first-year defensive line coach Chris Rumph Sr.

The Bears acquired the No. 217 choice they spent on Herbert along with a seventh-round pick (No. 250) from the Seahawks in exchange for the No. 208 selection in the sixth round. The Bears had originally obtained the 208th pick last summer in a trade with the Dolphins for tight end Adam Shaheen.