Bears drafted Urlacher 20 years ago Wednesday

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
aqah9jamtzgswd3gu6ne

The first time that then-defensive coordinator Greg Blache read a scouting report on Urlacher, he felt like someone was trying to convince him that the Loch Ness Monster existed. So Blache popped in a videotape of Urlacher and discovered that at least one freak of nature was more than just an urban legend.

"When they first told me about him I thought they were joking," Blache said at the time. "Sometimes scouts get a little carried away with what they see. But watching the guy on film, he's very impressive. As big a man as he is, he can really run. He's got exceptional speed for a linebacker."

What Blache saw on film was a 6-4, 258-pounder with speed, power and agility who was timed at 4.59 in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine and had a 34-inch vertical jump.

After playing safety his final two seasons in college, Urlacher lined up at linebacker in the Senior Bowl and was named the game's MVP.

When he was drafted by the Bears, he was eager to join the franchise's storied tradition at the position.

"That's the best part of being a linebacker in Chicago," Urlacher said at the time. "All you ever hear about is [Mike] Singletary and [Dick] Butkus and how good they were. It's a dream come true. Hopefully I can carry on the tradition."

Urlacher certainly accomplished that goal on a long journey with the Bears that officially began 20 years ago today.