Bears pick RB Kerrith Whyte in Round 7

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
k6migjdajvek8dewlvqq

The Bears on Saturday selected Florida Atlantic running back Kerrith Whyte with the No. 222 pick in the seventh round of the NFL Draft.

Whyte appeared in 37 games the past three seasons in college, rushing for 1,358 yards and 11 touchdowns on 232 carries and catching 22 passes for 227 yards with two TDs. The 5-10, 200-pounder also averaged 26.1 yards on 81 kickoff returns with two touchdowns.

Whyte established career highs in all rushing categories with 134 attempts, 866 yards and eight touchdowns while playing in 12 games last season. He also averaged 28.7 yards on 19 kickoff returns with one TD.

“I’m giving this whole organization, this whole city, everything I’ve got,” Whyte said Saturday during a conference call with Chicago reporters. “They’re going to get every ounce of energy in me. I’m just thankful for this organization. Whatever role that may be, I’m going to give them my all.”

Whyte said that he did a private pre-draft workout with the Bears at Florida Atlantic that was conducted by running backs coach Charles London.

“It went pretty well thankfully,” Whyte said. “We did a lot of catching and route-running, stuff like that.

“I think that kind of helped my situation here, so I’m thankful for the opportunity in the Bears organization.”