Big goals and big aspirations: How WR DaeSean Hamilton plans to live up to his own standards after falling short as a rookie

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
hi45r8msj2bn83rhoplm

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — As a rookie, wide receiver DaeSean Hamilton caught passes in seven games.

He started five contests and tallied at least five catches in four different games.

He hauled in 30 total catches for 243 yards — an average of 8.1 yards per catch — and scored two touchdowns.

None of it was good enough for the 2018 fourth-round pick from Penn State.

“It was actually just a little bit below the standard that I had for myself,” Hamilton said Tuesday. “Obviously, I was rookie last year so I didn’t know what to expect essentially, but I had big goals and big aspirations for myself.

“… The standards and expectations that I set for myself last year, at least in my standards, I didn’t meet them.”

He started the season behind both Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders. Thomas was dealt to the Texans ahead of the November trade deadline, and Sanders was injured ahead of the Broncos’ Week 13 game against the 49ers. Sanders’ injury elevated to Hamilton to No. 2 on the depth chart behind Courtland Sutton, and it gave the former Nittany Lion his first real opportunity.

Making his second start, Hamilton caught seven passes for 47 yards and a touchdown against San Francisco.

Even as Hamilton began to find more opportunities — he was targeted at least eight times in each of the final four games of the season — he still dealt with a nagging knee injury that he suffered against the Cardinals in Week 7.