Billy Turner's versatility will again be vital for Packers' new-look O-line

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
lbazr9yfopykq5y1envt

On the outside, it might seem like a quantum shift considering how veteran-laden the Packers were on the O-line when Turner arrived as an unrestricted free agent in March 2019, but so far it's been business as usual for the versatile veteran.

"To be completely honest with you, nothing has changed for me," Turner said. "I'm not going to act any different than I've acted the last two years, this year, just because somebody is not in the room.

"I'm approaching the situation no different than I've approached the last two years and that is to continue to learn and to grasp this scheme and to help these young players whenever I get a chance to help them."

The Packers certainly have no shortage of prospects at the position after drafting six offensive linemen the past two years. To Turner, the value in helping develop that young talent can be seen in how Elgton Jenkins, Lucas Patrick and Jon Runyan have stepped up in the wake of injury.

After finishing 2020 at left tackle in Bakhtiari's stead, Turner kept a similar script for his offseason. He once again trained close to home in St. Paul and continued developing his "Public Immunity" brand and clothing line.

Turner and his team ran a series of popup events in the Twin Cities area and already have made plans for more exhibits in the coming year.

Yet, there were some noticeable changes, too, with the Packers' offensive lineman choosing to step away from social media.

"I transitioned in December to allow my employees and my staff to kind of take control of my personal social media and also the company's social media," Turner said. "That transition for me off of social media was big. Because it just allowed me to focus on myself a little bit more and to allow myself to be able to grow a little bit more as a person."

While the absence of MVP quarterback Aaron Rodgers was a daily headline during Green Bay's two-month offseason program, Turner maintained a level head throughout.

Because come the end of July, whether it's Rodgers or 2020 first-round pick Jordan Love, Turner understands there will be a QB behind him he's responsible to block for.

"I kind of know what I have to do," Turner said. "I focused on my body. I focused on my rehab, and I build up into the approach to basically be able to get into the season and propel me through these now-17 weeks that we're going to have to navigate through and then into the playoffs."