Broncos Day 5 Camp report: Lingering longer on the field

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
ljl5ahk7oekxl6k79zbc

... While the passing game struggled at times, the ground game appeared to be on firmer footing. Phillip Lindsay, Royce Freeman, Devontae Booker, Khalfani Muhammad and Devontae Jackson all had some solid runs that were typically set up by quick cuts and acceleration that allowed them to burst forward and capitalize on the hole when it flashed open.

These cutback runs are a staple of the scheme Offensive Coordinator Rich Scangarello guides. The key to executing them is simple, Freeman believes.

"I'm just reading it out," Freeman said. "[Running Backs] Coach [Curtis] Modkins has helped us out, especially [with] similar things from the past offense to this offense. You remain disciplined in your keys and stay true to them, and then you keep working at them.

"If you happen to get some cutbacks every now and then, take advantage of them, because that's where the big plays are at."

... Rookie tight end Noah Fant had one of his best receptions so far in camp during a seven-on-seven snap in the red zone, grabbing a 10-yard pass from Flacco despite having inside linebacker Joe Jones in tight coverage.

Fangio also said that he had taken notice of Fant's run blocking.

"I’m not surprised by it," Fangio said. "I thought he had the ability and the mindset to potentially be a better blocker than people thought he was or could be. That’s coming along. I’m pleased with that.”

Fant also had a 20-yard reception from Flacco on a play that saw him begin by blocking Von Miller before he released and moved upfield behind the outside linebacker. Flacco then found Fant in space, and he accumulated yardage after the catch from there.

... The Broncos' offense didn't quite cure itself of the false-start bug, as officials called the unit for multiple penalties for a third consecutive day.

“Today was actually a little bit better than it was yesterday from that standpoint," Fangio said, adding that he was not going to panic about those penalties and other offensive miscues.

"Talk to me in a couple weeks and see," he said.

... McKnight created three yards' worth of separation during a one-on-one repetition with a sharp cut that froze cornerback De'Vante Bausby, allowing McKnight to easily grab the pass from Drew Lock in space near the right sideline. Second-year wide receiver DaeSean Hamilton also used a similar cut on a subsequent rep, allowing him to make an easy catch of a Flacco pass.

Hamilton also reeled in a one-handed catch Monday.

... Defensive back Kareem Jackson recorded an interception in a team period, as he capitalized off of an apparent miscommunication that saw McKnight cut off a route, leading to a Flacco pass that sailed right to Jackson.

... Cornerback Bryce Callahan broke up passes in the one-on-one and team periods. His team-period play was the result of good complementary defense, as pressure from outside linebacker Bradley Chubb on a third-and-8 play forced a Flacco pass to a tightly-covered Courtland Sutton, giving Callahan the opportunity to make the play on the ball.

... During a series in which the offense started from its 2-yard line, rookie defensive lineman Dre'Mont Jones burst through the line with pressure on Lock that would have resulted in a safety under game conditions.