Broncos Legends: A look back through Dennis Smith's Broncos career

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
tx6bnnhhbp5imsk5paju

In our Broncos Legends series, we're revisiting the careers of some of the best players in franchise history with video highlights and rarely seen photos — and they'll join us to break down their favorite moments as a Bronco and more. Here's a refresher on Dennis Smith's time in Denver.

Career overview

As Dan Reeves approached his first season as the Broncos' head coach, all indications were that Denver would use its first pick in the 1981 NFL Draft on someone who could help improve a stagnant offense. After all, Reeves was a former offensive coordinator and the Broncos ranked 25th out of 28 teams in yards gained in 1980.

Instead, Reeves and Co. selected former USC safety Dennis Smith at 15th overall. The pick was a little bit of surprise; the Broncos' defensive backfield featured Super Bowl XII starters Billy Thompson, a future Ring of Famer, and Steve Foley. Still, the Broncos felt they could not pass on Smith.

"I'm really excited about him, because we had him rated very high," Reeves said after the draft. "He's a legitimate 4.5[-second 40-yard dash] guy, which is great speed, and he's also a 7-foot-2 high jumper. He's just a great athlete. Dennis Smith is the type of football player who can step right in."

Over the next 14 years, Smith would prove Reeves absolutely correct.

The six-time Pro Bowler came into his own in the mid-1980s as a rangy defender always willing to devastate opponents with a big hit. In 1987, longtime Broncos defensive coordinator Joe Collier said of Smith, "He's our kingpin. He's our top run defender." On a defense that also featured the likes of Karl Mecklenburg and Tom Jackson, that should be considered a pretty significant feat.

Once the Broncos added another heavy-hitting safety in 1989 when they drafted Steve Atwater, Smith would really hit his groove. Starting with that season, he made three consecutive Pro Bowls and added another in 1993 to bring his career total to six.

And though Smith also had soft hands — he had 30 career interceptions and 17 fumble recoveries — his key skill was a penchant for timely and crushing hits that energized his teammates and terrorized opponents.

By his final season in 1994, Smith's reputation preceded him. That year, he had missed the Broncos' first three games as he and the team negotiated a new contract. They settled on a deal just in time for him to return for a Week 4 game against the 1991 NFL MVP Thurman Thomas and the Bills.

"That's something I didn't want to hear, because the guy has been a pain every time we've played them," Thomas said at the time. "I'm not intimidated by him; he just scares the hell out of me."

Career accolades

Ring of Fame inductee (2001), three AFC titles, five AFC West championships, six Pro Bowls (1985-86, '89-91, '93), 1989 October AFC Defensive Player of the Month