Broncos Training Camp Day 1: Phillip Lindsay turns heads

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
yp6ll66apyixzqcsz5sl

... The second-team defense made life rough on the No. 2 offense -- particularly quarterback Kevin Hogan, who found himself under duress throughout the day. Pressure from DeShawn Williams, who used a swim move to burst past Austin Schlottman and into Hogan's face, led to a Bausby interception, as Hogan's harried throw deflected off linebacker Alexander Johnson into Bausby's grasp.

That unit set the tone during its opening three plays during the first team period. On its second repetition, defensive lineman Zach Kerr used a swim move to burst into the backfield, ensuring Lindsay had no place to run. One play later, pressure off the edge from Jeff Holland led to the first of a series of incompletions caused by front-seven pressure.

... Fellow cornerback Isaac Yiadom joined Bausby in the pick party, intercepting a Flacco attempt to rookie Juwann Winfree. Yiadom broke back on the ball and hauled in the pass on the second-and-10 play.

... Rookie outside linebacker Malik Reed was a defensive star working against the No. 3 offense. On the third play for the third-teamers during the first team period, he burst past the inside shoulder of fellow rookie Nathan Jacobson to get to Drew Lock for what would have been a sack under game conditions. Working the inside is key for Reed as he attempts to show an array of pass-rush moves.

"You've got to be able to change it up. I feel like you can't throw one thing at them each time, and that's something that I've learned from Von [Miller] since I've been here," Reed said. "You have to mix it up. You don't want to show [the offensive lineman] the same move every time, because then he'll sit on it and you're stuck for the whole game."

Multiple pressures followed throughout the balance of the day.

"I try to get off the ball as soon as I can and see what [the offensive lineman] is giving me," Reed said. "Once I see what he's giving me, then I attack."

... With Emmanuel Sanders still working his way back from an Achilles tendon injury, all the receivers moved up a notch. That pushed DaeSean Hamilton into extensive first-team work, and he responded with a slew of solid receptions. But it was wide receiver Brendan Langley who had the catch of the day, hauling in a deep touchdown pass from rookie quarterback Drew Lock.

"It was just a go route, a double go," Langley said. "As soon as we called it in the huddle, I told Drew, 'It's gonna be there,' and he threw it up there and gave me a shot," Langley said. "Hopefully there will be a lot more to come."

... Right guard Ron Leary played roughly half of the team-period snaps with the No. 1 offense before he was given some rest as practice progressed. Don Barclay filled in for him at right guard for the final team periods of the day.

WEATHER REPORT: On a day that saw Denver tie a record high for the date of 99°F, the Broncos practiced in temperatures that rose from 80°F when players walked onto the field to 91°F when they returned to the locker room.