‘Business-like Personality’ & Tips from Vets Help Bradbury

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
ltrarqb0eoqi4bw7lhqd

Minnesota will be running a new system this year under Offensive Coordinator Kevin Stefanski and with the influence of Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Advisor Gary Kubiak and the other new coaches added to the Vikings staff this offseason.

The benefit to this, Bradbury pointed out, is that it isn’t only the rookies learning the playbook.

“We can kind of [bounce] things off of each other, learn together throughout this,” Bradbury said. “I mean, there’s a wealth of knowledge in the O-line room, but it’s a new system for them at the same time. So, we’re kind of learning together, which has been good as a rookie.”

Asked if he has a “leg up” after running an outside zone scheme at N.C. State, Bradbury declined to use that term but acknowledged that it’s helpful to understand the system and see its advantages.

“It’s a play that I love running as an offensive lineman, and it’s a really good scheme,” Bradbury said. “Obviously these coaches (Kubiak and Co.) have run it a lot, for several years, so I think the guys in the locker room who haven’t been a part of it understand how good it can be, just from the OTAs that we had.

“So I think everybody is really excited about this different kind of run scheme and pass scheme that we’re [offensively doing],” he added.

As the starting center, Bradbury will naturally be looked to as a leader of the position group. He was asked by a reporter about progress in the playbook and feeling comfortable being more vocal with teammates.

He responded that “trusting the preparation” is most important in taking those steps.

“I’ve been studying the playbook a lot, so I just need to be confident with my calls – that’s really what it boils down to,” Bradbury said. “If I’m kind of hesitant with a call, if I’m late with a call, it [hurts] the other guys that I’m playing with. So, I just need to get up to the line, trust what I’m seeing at the moment and just make a call and go with it.

“With offensive line, if everyone’s on the same page, then it’s going to be a pretty good play,” he continued. “So just understanding that I need to make a call early and be confident with it, vocalize it, communicate it to everyone on the O-line and just get reps with these guys.”

And as for Zimmer’s thoughts on the topic?

“He’s got a very business-like personality, wants to be right, wants to do things the right way. I think he’s got an aggressive nature,” Zimmer said. “I think he’s going to fit in fine.”