Cardinals' Passing Game Pieces 'Anxious' To Reunite

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
oi0dtztxsbpkxbouymcf

While the lack of on-field work may be a detriment, Fitzgerald believes it has been a positive in a more worldly scope. He recently returned to his hometown of Minneapolis following the death of George Floyd, and the ensuing position group conversations have been enlightening.

The Cardinals' receivers coach, David Raih, is white, as is assistant Jerry Sullivan, while most of the players are black.

"Our group has come together and bonded in a way that I don't think would have been possible if we were together, as far as on the field, because when you're on the field, the actual work becomes the most important," Fitzgerald said. "Once you get out of practice, you're not talking about social issues. When you're in more of a virtual forum, those things can be accessed and talked about in a much more readily available fashion. We've grown so much in the last few weeks, and hopefully we can continue to do that."

Hopkins is the lone major new addition among the wide receivers and is assimilating well. Fitzgerald said he has already made an impression by being punctual, taking notes and asking questions in the football portion of the meetings.

"I've known DeAndre since he was in college," Fitzgerald said. "We've had a great relationship for the last eight, nine years. Somebody that I highly respect and admire the way he goes about his business. I couldn't be more happy to have him on the team. He's a wonderful person for Christian, Trent, Hakeem (Butler), Andy (Isabella), Kee (Johnson) and the other young guys to be able to learn from."

The receivers are trying their best to navigate this unique offseason, one which will officially close soon without on-field work. The logistical issues of getting together with Murray is the latest hurdle the group faces.

Fitzgerald said it's important for the Cardinals to roll with the punches as the season inches closer.

"Whatever the landscape looks like, the fastest team that is able to adapt and make that their new norm will come out on top," Fitzgerald said.

Continue reading...