Cardinals 'Unicorn' Isaiah Simmons Wasn't Always So Valued

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
wxcxdfbhtkywimy1yteo

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney calls Isaiah Simmons "a unicorn" for his rare ability to play multiple defensive positions, and the Cardinals can't wait to deploy him as such in 2020.

However, when Simmons was a high school senior in Olathe, Kansas in 2016, few college coaches even considered him a thoroughbred.

"I was just overlooked," said Simmons, who went from three-star recruit to the No. 8 overall pick in the draft. "The scholarships I had, I'm completely grateful for them – they were a blessing in their own – but I felt as if I deserved more of the powerhouses. I found myself sending out my film to all of the big schools, and I would hear some things back, (but) a lot of times I would just go ignored. I kind of feel like they missed the ball."

While Michigan and Nebraska were among the teams in pursuit of Simmons out of high school, he couldn't scrounge up an offer from his preferred school, Arkansas, and plenty of others turned him down.

Clemson nearly missed out, too, but when three of their defensive backs turned pro in January of 2016, defensive coordinator Brent Venables frantically searched for prospects. Serendipitously, Venables was a Kansas native who had strong ties to the area, and was told about Simmons.

"It goes to show you that it's better to be lucky than good sometimes," Cardinals General Manager Steve Keim said.

Venables was immediately sold, Simmons liked the fit as well, and the marriage ended up being perfect for both parties. After steady growth, Simmons capped his college career with 104 tackles, eight sacks, three interceptions, eight passes defensed and two forced fumbles in 2019, famously doing it from nearly every position on defense.

"He's as impactful a player that we've had at Clemson," Venables said.

Continue reading...