Cardinals Draft Primer 2020: Quarterback

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
emvdvbyhtdkzorjrhc7z

General Manager Steve Keim did an impressive job filling needs to begin the league year, as there are no longer any glaring holes in the starting lineup. He will aim to supplement the roster in the draft, beginning with the No. 8 overall selection. The Cardinals are without their second-rounder because of the DeAndre Hopkins trade, but did pick up an additional fourth in the deal. We will break down each position group heading into the draft, which will be held April 23-25.

Draft primer: Quarterback

More draft primers: OL I DL I WR I CB I TE I ST

The Cardinals' situation: Kyler Murray looked every bit a franchise quarterback as a rookie, and will aim to build on that in 2020. Brett Hundley was re-signed this offseason to again back him up, while jack-of-all trades Chris Streveler will aim to make the team as a Taysom Hill-type option as the third quarterback. Drew Anderson returns to compete after spending some of last season with the team.

The draft class: Joe Burrow is expected to go No. 1 overall to the Bengals, while Tua Tagovailoa is also projected to go early, provided his dislocated hip isn't a concern. Justin Herbert and Jordan Love are the other two quarterbacks expected to go in the first round, while Jalen Hurts, Jacob Eason and Jake Fromm are later options.

The conclusion: The Cardinals won't be drafting a quarterback, but the position could still influence their first-round decision-making. If three or four quarterbacks go before No. 8, that will push down some of the other prospects for Steve Keim to consider. If one or more of the projected first-rounders are still on the board, teams could call the Cardinals to trade up. Tagovailoa's health seems like a wild card, as there has been recent chatter that he may not go as high as initially perceived.

Continue reading...