Cardinals Draft Primer 2020: Running Back

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
fwlntla9wcgxzmvetf2k

General Manager Steve Keim did an impressive job filling needs to begin the league year, as there are no longer any glaring holes in the starting lineup. He will aim to supplement the roster in the draft, beginning with the No. 8 overall selection. The Cardinals are without their second-rounder because of the DeAndre Hopkins trade, but did pick up an additional fourth in the deal. We will break down each position group heading into the draft, which will be held April 23-25.

Draft primer: Running back

More draft primers: OL I DL I WR I CB I TE I ST I QB I S

The Cardinals' situation: The running back uncertainty was cleared up early in the league year, when David Johnson was traded to the Texans and Kenyan Drake was signed to the transition tag. Drake was an immediate difference-maker after joining the Cardinals via midseason trade in 2019, and will aim to duplicate that performance this year. Chase Edmonds was impressive when given primary ballcarrier duties and will be a nice second option. D.J. Foster was re-signed and is expected to again compete for the role of fourth running back/core special teamer.

The draft class: There aren't any running backs projected to go at the top of the first round, so the Cardinals won't be considering one with the No. 8 overall pick. The position group could come into play during the middle or late rounds. Coach Kliff Kingsbury said he would like to add another dynamic runner in case of attrition, and there is a nice history of mid-round running backs making early impacts in the NFL. Utah's Zack Moss and Arizona State's Eno Benjamin are among the prospects projected for the middle rounds.

The conclusion: The Cardinals have a solid duo atop the depth chart, but with Drake on a one-year deal, there is not much longterm stability at the position. While a potential addition in the draft is plausible, it does not seem essential, as running back is one of the easier positions to find depth. If the Cardinals draft a running back in 2020, it could be with an eye on the future.

Continue reading...