Cardinals Film Room: Flea Flicker Success

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
vbdr7jup54zrnuffte19

Kirk explains why he was playing running back: “Chase (Edmonds) is left-handed and David (Johnson) can’t really throw it. Kliff was giving him a hard time about that (in previous practice reps.) I played a bunch of Wildcat at Saguaro (High School) and threw some double passes when I was there. A lot of my close friends are quarterbacks, so when I work out with them, I’m always around their quarterback coaches. I pick up on little things.”

Murray was hoping Kirk would get the pass back to him off in time: “When I pitched it to him, I saw the dude (nickelback Chauncey Gardner-Johnson) blitzing off the left edge out of my peripheral. I knew it was going to be quick for him, but I definitely had confidence in him.”

Kingsbury was pleased with Kirk’s execution: “He did a great job. They blitzed it, and he made a great throw back.”

Kirk first had to make the Saints believe he was running the ball: “I can’t just take two steps and look back, because that’s not going to sell anything. The thing we weren’t expecting was this nickel pressure coming off the edge. I saw him out of my peripheral, and you’ve just got to trust it. I was like, ‘I’m going to just have to turn and chuck it, because he’s going to be right there.’ I took one more step and turned. I knew I was going to get hit, but the key thing was don’t over-throw (Murray) and don’t underthrow him. Just put it right there.”

Continue reading...