Cardinals Have Time To Determine Patrick Peterson Fill-In

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
d2zejzkyetqysmlhhvun

It’s an odd situation for the Cardinals to find themselves in. Peterson has never missed a game in his NFL career, playing (and starting) all 128 games in his eight seasons. Alford’s signing is another attempt to solidify the spot across from Peterson, and Peterson even helped recruit Alford as a free agent.

“Pat is a close friend of mine and we support him,” Alford said. “At the end of the day, those are the league’s rules, and it’s the next man up.”

Amerson has started 61 games in his career, although only 11 over the past two seasons combined. He finished last year as Peterson’s fellow starter. Brock started five games in Denver last year and knows the scheme of defensive coordinator Vance Joseph – the Broncos’ head coach the past two seasons – intimately. Brock also was a full-time starter in San Francisco as recently as 2016.

Then there is Murphy, who was highly rated by the Cardinals as the best cornerback available in the draft.

“(Peterson) is part of our team and he’s a brother to us,” Murphy said. “But the challenge is out there and I came here to compete.”

The good news is the Cardinals have the balance of OTAs, minicamp and then all of preseason to prepare for life without Peterson. It’s won’t be like a scramble drill it can be when a starter goes down with injury during the preseason.

“We feel like we’ll approach it the same,” Brock Sr. said. “It’s just that more guys will have more opportunities than usual, presented with a big stage. There’s a lot of room to cover, but we will live up to the challenge, I believe.”

Continue reading...