Cardinals Re-Sign Cornerback Kevin Peterson

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
uhgmnexcxnrinmjxmz6n

The Cardinals have filled out their roster by bringing back many of their own free agents this offseason despite letting them reach the open market – and they did it again Tuesday, re-signing reserve cornerback Kevin Peterson to a one-year deal.

Peterson played in 14 games, starting three, for the Cardinals in 2019. He had 16 tackles and two passes defensed, as well as six tackles on special teams. To make room on the roster, the Cardinals released cornerback Andre Chachere.

The Cardinals will have essentially their entire secondary returning. They didn't spend a draft pick at either cornerback or safety. Veterans Patrick Peterson and Robert Alford are expected to be the starters outside, with Byron Murphy in the slot.

At safety, they have Pro Bowler Budda Baker and second-year man Jalen Thompson. Kevin Peterson and Chris Jones would be the top reserves at cornerback right now, with Deionte Thompson and Chris Banjo the top safety reserves.

Patrick Peterson (suspension) missed the first six games last season, and Alford was out the whole year with a broken leg.

"Having Patrick back Week One and having Robert back healthy Week One that's going to help us," defensive coordinator Vance Joseph said after the draft. "It was really tough on our young guys and our reserve corners to go out there against some good teams early. I thought Budda Baker had a hell of a year last year … He has room to grown. I thought Jalen Thompson the last month of the season played really good football. As the defense played better, I thought he played better.

"We had a young secondary, with (Byron) Murphy playing the most snaps of any defensive back in the league. It'll pay dividends. I'm looking forward to those young guys taking huge steps."

Continue reading...