Cardinals Select Defensive End Zach Allen In Third Round

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
ca8y6t7xo1ufylhitewh

Allen is a versatile piece on the line and is happy to do anything asked of him as a rookie -- on the field or off.

“Gain weight, lose weight, whatever it is,” Allen said. “Special teams, sell popcorn, I’m willing to do it.”

The Cardinals struggled stopping the run a year ago, and Keim believes Allen's style is well-suited to shore up that weakness.

"If you get 11 guys running to the football, you've got a chance," Keim said. "I think the one thing that he brings to the table is the ability to get people around him excited. He's that kind of guy that people feed off of."

Allen said he was hoping to be drafted by the Cardinals. He trained in Phoenix heading into the NFL Scouting combine and developed a good relationship with Cardinals defensive line coach Chris Achuff during the pre-draft process.

Allen fell in love with the city during his time here.

“From growing up in New England, these cold winters, I don’t know how many more of them I could have handled any more,” Allen said. “(Arizona) has its own beauty with the mountains and everything. The people. It’s a growing city, a vibrant city. I’m really glad I get to be there again.”

Allen said he won’t mind the triple-digit temperatures that the summer will bring.

“Perfect,” Allen said. “Get this pale Russian kid some sun and hopefully a little tan.”

Continue reading...