Cardinals Trade Up, Select Cornerback Marco Wilson In Fourth Round

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
ugvpydlenzbqkyt9ox6s

A cornerback didn’t fall to the Cardinals in the first two days of the draft, so they traded up for one Saturday.

General Manager Steve Keim nabbed Florida cornerback Marco Wilson in the fourth round, adding a player at a position of need.

Wilson has impressive athleticism, as the 6-foot-1, 191-pounder reportedly ran a 4.35-second 40-yard dash and registered a 43.5-inch vertical jump at his Pro Day. However, NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah said on the draft broadcast that Wilson has 'uneven' game tape.

Wilson is confident his elite traits will translate well to the NFL level.

"I feel like my athletic ability is better than anybody in this class, but only time will tell that," Wilson said.

The Cardinals took Wilson at No. 136 overall in the draft and also received a sixth-rounder in a trade with the Ravens. They gave up their fifth-round pick this year and a fourth-round selection next season.

Wilson is most widely known for a critical mistake against LSU last season, when he received an unsportsmanlike penalty for throwing a shoe, which helped cost the Gators the game. Wilson said that incident taught him the importance of keeping his emotions in check.

"Silly mistakes like that can affect not only just you but a lot of people around you," Wilson said. "You've got to stay away from doing things like that."

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEASON TICKET PRIORITY LIST

Wilson, who patterns his game off Darrelle Revis, will join a cornerback group that is headlined by Malcolm Butler, Byron Murphy Jr. and Robert Alford.

"I know they're in need of cornerbacks," Wilson said. "I know there are a lot of guys that are there already that are very talented. The older guys have a lot of experience, and I feel like I can come in and make an impact, and while doing that, learn a lot from those guys."

Even though he is a Day 3 selection, Wilson believes the experience of playing as a true freshman at Florida will help him be prepared to push for playing time immediately with the Cardinals.

"That threw me into a leadership position at a young age, at 18, in the biggest conference in college football," Wilson said. "It made me grow up really fast."

Continue reading...