Cassius Marsh Ready To Take On Former NFC West Teams

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
hlsudfewn2rzwrqgtxdn

Cassius Marsh had his best year for the 49ers last season with 5½ sacks, before he was released in the spring, and then signed as a free agent with the Seahawks and spent the offseason and preseason as a starter before being cut this weekend to make room for the traded-for Jadaveon Clowney.

The shock to the outside linebacker, signed Sunday by the Cardinals to help with the pass rush, was apparent after his first practice Monday with his third NFC West team this calendar year.

“I know (those teams) well, I know the (offensive) tackles well,” Marsh said. “But I don’t care about those teams, all I care about is crushing them. I’m happy to be here and get a shot to play those guys twice a year.”

Marsh said it was “a little weird” to go from starting with the Seahawks to suddenly on the street, but added he believes “everything happens for a reason” and that meant coming to Arizona.

“We were thrilled that he was available,” coach Kliff Kingsbury said.

He joins a veteran group that includes starters Chandler Jones and Terrell Suggs, along with Brooks Reed. Marsh, in his sixth season, is the youngster of the group and said he’s eager to mesh with his new teammates. He also said that playing in Vance Joseph’s defense – which has roots in Wade Phillips’ philosophy – is something that should be relatively easy to pick up.

Opportunity was a big reason Marsh chose the Cardinals, since the team chased him hard. He also has a 5½-month-old son and a fiancée that will have a better support system near California, where he is from.

“And if I’m being really honest, there are two teams in this conference that I really hate, and so, there’s that,” Marsh added.

EX-SUN DEVIL ENDS UP ON PRACTICE SQUAD

The Cardinals signed former Bronco and former ASU offensive lineman Sam Jones to the practice squad Monday. They also released quarterback Drew Anderson and wide receiver A.J. Richardson from the practice squad, leaving the practice squad at six of a possible 10. More additions are expected Tuesday, including quarterback Kyle Sloter.

Two of the three players the Cards released Sunday were claimed off waivers – running back T.J. Logan by the Buccaneers, and linebacker Tanner Vallejo by the Redskins. Linebacker Pete Robertson cleared waivers and becomes a free agent.

LIGHT ON TIGHT ENDS, BUT A PLAN IN PLACE

The Cardinals kept only two tight ends on the 53-man roster – Charles Clay and Maxx Williams, but Kingsbury said “it’s a good combination for us.” The Cardinals did re-sign a pair of tight ends, Darrell Daniels and Caleb Wilson, to the practice squad for an easy call-up if needed.

On game days, the Cardinals may end up keeping an extra offensive lineman active. Kingsbury acknowledged that Mason Cole or one of the tackles the Cards claimed on waivers – Justin Murray or Brett Toth – could be used as a blocking tight end.

“That’s part of our thinking,” Kingsbury said.

REDDICK AT PRACTICE

Linebacker Haason Reddick, who has been coming back from knee surgery, was out during the open portion of practice doing individual drills. His status for Sunday’s game against the Lions remains unclear.

The first Week One injury report will be released Wednesday afternoon.

Continue reading...