Catching up on Camp: The biggest storylines from the first five days of Broncos training camp

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
iegkezbx9kca24anbwgv

A FIRST LOOK AT FLACCO

Though the offense likely wishes to find more consistency, it's clear that Joe Flacco is the unquestioned starter. His leadership, experience and arm talent have all shined early in camp.

“Joe’s got a calm demeanor about him, but he is still a fiery competitor," Fangio said. "I think Joe’s at a time in his career that he has that calm demeanor about him — and when things are going good, it’s ‘Joe Cool.’ And if thinks aren’t going, well, Joe doesn’t care that much — or he’s not getting fired up. That’s how Joe is. Joe is a competitor. He leads through example. He is not going to be a guy who loses his emotions—but trust me, inside his brain and belly, it’s turning for him.”

From a physical standpoint, the 34-year-old Flacco thinks he's delivering the ball better than he ever has.

"I think in terms of all of that, I throw the ball better," Flacco said. "Since the time I was that age [when he entered the league] and moving forward, it’s been the only thing I’ve had to do, throw the football. I think if anything I’ve gotten better. I don’t know about the arm strength thing. I don’t necessarily worry too much about how far I’m throwing the ball, but I think the rhythm of it all, the accuracy, all of that’s gotten better."

LINDSAY AND SANDERS RETURN

The best news early in training camp may be that running back Phillip Lindsay and wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders have both been healthy and able to participate, although to varying degrees. Lindsay took his first team reps of the offseason on Thursday and looked like the same player that made the Pro Bowl last season. He said Monday that his wrist hasn't bothered him.

“My mind is not on my hand anymore, it's about making plays," Lindsay said Monday. "That's not really a problem anymore.”

Sanders has been limited to individual drills as he recovers from an Achilles injury, but Fangio said the veteran wide receiver is further along than the team expected.

“It’s a slow but sure process," Fangio said Sunday. "He’s out here working early in practice with guys. They take him in and do some more cardio with him. That way he doesn’t have to pound on the ground. Everything is good so far with him. He’s where we’re expecting him to be and even a little bit more.”