Chalk Talk: Did Payton throw most TD passes?

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
ub1lbghmrn1c7cggaczo

Wondering about a player, a past game or another issue involving the Bears? Senior writer Larry Mayer answers a variety of questions from fans on ChicagoBears.com.

It was interesting to read in a recent "Chalk Talk" about Walter Payton throwing eight touchdown passes during his career. Is that the most by a non-quarterback in NFL history?
Lee G.
Austin, Texas

Walter Payton's eight touchdown passes are the most by a non-quarterback in the Super Bowl era. Former star running back LaDainian Tomlinson is second with seven, followed by four players with six: running backs Marcus Allen, Keith Byars and Greg Pruitt and receiver Antwaan Randle El. As I mentioned in the recent "Chalk Talk" you referred to, Payton's eight TD passes were divided equally among four teammates who each caught two apiece: receivers Willie Gault and Brian Baschnagel, quarterback Jim McMahon and fullback Matt Suhey.

One of my favorite Bears games of all-time was a comeback win over the New York Jets on Monday Night Football I believe in the early '90s. Can you please refresh my memory and give me some details about the game?
Dave S.
Duluth, Minnesota

With the Bears facing a late 13-6 deficit and seemingly out of hope on Sept. 23, 1991, defensive tackle Steve McMichael forced and recovered a Blair Thomas fumble at the Jets' 33 with 1:54 remaining in the fourth quarter. Quarterback Jim Harbaugh threw a 6-yard touchdown pass to running back Neal Anderson on the final play of regulation to force overtime. And then Harbaugh won the game with a 1-yard TD sneak late in the extra session. It was definitely one of the Bears' most exciting and improbable wins I've ever witnessed.

With the coronavirus, will Jimbo Covert and Ed Sprinkle still be inducted into the Hall of Fame later this year?
Deandre K.
Chicago

No, the two former Bears greats will be enshrined in the Hall of Fame in 2021. Due to the coronavirus, the Hall of Fame announced in late June that the entire 20-member centennial class will be inducted in August 2021 along with the 2021 class, and that all enshrinement week activities will be held Aug. 5-9, 2021 in Canton.

Chalk Talk features fan questions multiple times each week. Email your question to Larry.