Chalk Talk: How many receivers will make roster?

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
ub1lbghmrn1c7cggaczo

That’s tough to project so early in training camp. I agree with you that the Bears are extremely deep at the receiver position, which no doubt will lead to some difficult decisions when final cuts are made. Special teams value likely will be a major factor in determining which receivers earn the last couple spots. Last year six receivers opened the season on the opening day roster and that very well could happen again. But general manager Ryan Pace indicated last Sunday in his pre-training camp press conference that the Bears could keep more, saying: “I think sometimes we can get caught up in, ‘Oh, we have to keep this number.’ [But] we’ll be flexible with that. Our goal is to keep the best players. If it means going a little heavy at a position, we’ll go heavy there.” The way I see it, Allen Robinson II, Taylor Gabriel, Anthony Miller and Cordarrelle Patterson are locks and rookie fourth-round pick Riley Ridley likely will also make it, which could leave one or two spots open for Javon Wims, Marvin Hall, Emanuel Hall and others to battle it out.