Chalk Talk: What changes with move back to Halas Hall?

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
ub1lbghmrn1c7cggaczo

I know the Bears have a great culture in their locker room. But is there any concern about a fight like the one between Javon Wims and Prince Amukamara this week in practice dividing the offense and defense?
Ben D.
Boise, Idaho

I have zero concern about that; the Bears remain one big happy family, and to me the main reason for that is how coach Matt Nagy handles every situation. In terms of the fight between Javon Wims and Prince Amukamara, it was a fairly innocent altercation that has had no lingering issues. The two shook hands and moved on. Here’s what Nagy had to say about the fight: “We talk about how we’re going to handle those things internally when things do happen. To me there are different levels of it, and there’s some levels that can get out of control. It can ruin you. There’s other ones where guys, it’s competitive. They’re chirping. The guys want to do well. The beauty of our sport, and sports in general, is that you care. These guys care. They’re trying to make teams and trying to make plays. Sometimes the juices get going. That’s my job to make sure I come in there and clear the dust, settle the dust.” (Like I said earlier, consider the dust settled.)

Who’s a player who has been with the Bears for a few years who had his best training camp this summer?
Will P.
Darien, Illinois

The first player who comes to my mind is tight end Ben Braunecker. I don’t think there’s any doubt that he had his best training camp since he joined the Bears in 2016 as an undrafted free agent from Harvard. With tight ends Trey Burton and Adam Shaheen missing chunks of camp, Braunecker took advantage of expanded playing time, making several catches in virtually every practice. Said coach Matt Nagy: “Ben’s done a great job and he’s been great on special teams as well. We’re lucky to have him.”