Chalk Talk: Which rookie could start Week 1?

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
ub1lbghmrn1c7cggaczo

Are the Bears planning to bring all three of their kickers to training camp?
Russell D.
Oak Forest, Illinois

That decision has not yet been made and probably won’t be until the offseason program concludes. The Bears still have six OTA practices and three minicamp workouts for Chris Blewitt, Elliott Fry and Eddy Pineiro to prove themselves. Here’s what coach Matt Nagy said Wednesday when asked whether the Bears would bring three kickers to training camp: “We’re trying to let this thing play out. That’s a very important position for us right now, so we’re going to be delicate with it and make sure that whatever we do, we talk about it and we decide, ‘OK, is this the best thing to do?’ If we need to bring three to camp, we’ll bring three to camp.” Nagy added that he’s not concerned about the kicking situation, saying: “I’m really not because there’s a lot of time ahead of us … We realize the significance of getting this thing right and we’ve got to let it play out.”

What are the Bears’ plans for linebacker Joel Iyiegbuniwe? He was a fourth-round pick, right? I haven’t heard much about him lately.
Marc B.
Wheeling, Illinois

Yes, the Bears selected inside linebacker Joel Iyiegbuniwe in the fourth round of the 2018 draft out of Western Kentucky. Iyiegbuniwe was arguably the Bears’ best special-teams player last year as a rookie and I expect him to fill a similar role this season as a key special-teams contributor and valuable backup on defense behind starters Danny Trevathan and Roquan Smith.