Chalk Talk: Who will be Bears' third receiver?

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
xrxovnvta0tsvxoka65w

Wondering about a player, a past game or another issue involving the Bears? Senior writer Larry Mayer answers a variety of questions from fans on ChicagoBears.com.

Who do you think has the best chance to be the Bears' third receiver this season behind Allen Robinson II and Darnell Mooney?
Russ W.
Beloit, Wisconsin

I'll be able to give you a much better answer when the pads come on in training camp and the Bears start playing preseason games in August. But I can tell you that two speedy veteran receivers the Bears signed in free agency—Marquise Goodwin and Damiere Byrd—both impressed me in OTA and minicamp practices. If they build on the momentum they've already started to create, I think one or both could become a regular contributor on offense this season. Goodwin played seven NFL seasons with the Bills (2013-16) and 49ers (2017-19) before opting out of the 2020 season due to COVID-19 concerns as a member of the Eagles. He's a world-class athlete who competed in the 2012 Olympics as a long jumper. Byrd, meanwhile, is a sixth-year pro who recorded career highs with 16 games played, 14 starts, 47 receptions and 604 yards last year with the Patriots. He also can return kickoffs, which is a position the Bears will look to fill this season following the departure of Cordarrelle Patterson.

Is there any news regarding Eddie Goldman? Have any of his teammates talked with him?
Conrad G.
Ely, Minnesota

There hasn't been any news since last week when coach Matt Nagy said that despite Eddie Goldman's unexcused absence from mandatory minicamp, the veteran nose tackle is expected to report to training camp in late July. In terms of teammates, linebacker Danny Trevathan told reporters that he has spoken with Goldman and also believes that he will attend training camp. Here's what Trevathan said about Goldman: "He's a silent killer, works his tail off. He loves his job. He's one of the guys that does his job, doesn't really talk too much, but he works his tail off. Unfortunately, we didn't have him last year. It's going to be great to have him this year. I know he's going to be here. I've been communicating with him as much as possible—he's a tough guy to get in contact with—but he loves us. He loves the Bears organization. He loves the defense, so he's going to come here ready to work."

Have the Bears, Cubs and White Sox ever all made the playoffs in the same season?
Rod S.
Chicago

Yes, and as a matter of fact, last year was the first time it has ever happened. Prior to 2020, the Cubs and White Sox had only reached the postseason in the same year twice: in 1906 before the Bears and NFL were created, and in 2008 when the Bears finished in second place in the NFC North with a 9-7 record but failed to make the playoffs.