Chalk Talk: Will starters play in preseason?

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
ub1lbghmrn1c7cggaczo

Wondering about a player, a past game or another issue involving the Bears? Senior writer Larry Mayer answers a variety of questions from fans on ChicagoBears.com.

Do the Bears plan on playing their starters in the preseason this year? I think it would help create some continuity, especially on offense.
Don M.
Rogers, Arkansas

After holding most of his key players out of preseason games last year, coach Matt Nagy has said on multiple occasions this offseason that they will play in preseason contests this year. In April, he discussed how Mitchell Trubisky and Nick Foles would both play in the preseason—along with other starters—as they compete for the starting quarterback position. More recently, Nagy was very candid in discussing the topic during an appearance on the Waddle and Silvy Show on ESPN Chicago 1000 AM, saying: "That's one of the things that I look back at from last year that I'm not happy about that I made a decision to do in the preseason is that. And you know why, No. 1 I think it's good for them to have it. But No. 2, it sets the mentality. And so that's not going to happen this year. We're going to be a physically tough team. We are going to be a mentally tough team. They understand that. They're going to be tired of hearing about that. They're going to be tired of hearing about attacking and aggressive. They're going to be tired of hearing about details. I look back and I say if I could change something in 2019, it would be playing our starters more [in the preseason], 100 percent."

When was the last time the Bears played a division opponent in the preseason? I can't remember it ever happening, but I'm fairly certain there was a time that it did at some point.
Robert L.
Naperville, Illinois

The Bears haven't played a division opponent in the preseason since 1988 when they lost to the Vikings 28-21 in Sweden. The Bears last played the Packers in the preseason in 1984 but the two rivals met every year in the preseason from 1959-75. Interestingly, the Bears haven't faced the Lions in the preseason since 1958.

If you could attend only one Bears game this season, which one would it be and why?
Allen G.
Oak Park, Illinois

There are several enticing matchups on the schedule this season, with games against future Hall of Fame quarterbacks Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers all at Soldier Field. But if I had to pick one game to attend this season, it would be the Thursday night, Oct. 8 contest against Brady, Rob Gronkowski and the Buccaneers in Chicago. That obviously will be a big test for what figures to be an excellent Bears defense this season and should be a very fun game to watch.

Chalk Talk features fan questions multiple times each week.
Email your question to Larry.