Challenge Of Virtual Draft Doesn't Intimidate Kliff Kingsbury

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
kvbzws2gvctbqaf7tr48

Kliff Kingsbury doesn't think he's any further advanced in using technology than others in the NFL when it comes to the draft process.

"I'm used to FaceTiming but most of the time I was trying to sell those kids on coming to Texas Tech and obviously that didn't work out as much as I would've liked," the Cardinals' coach said with a chuckle Tuesday while conducting a press conference via Zoom.

Like the rest of the NFL, Kingsbury is preparing for a virtual draft in a couple of weeks. Unlike some of his peers, there isn't trepidation for the process, not given the circumstances. Kingsbury, who spoke from a spot at State Farm Stadium after giving blood to aid during the fight against COVID-19, reiterated multiple times perspective was crucial now.

That includes any work preparing for or during the draft.

"There are challenges, but it's nothing compared to what the rest of the world is facing," Kingsbury said. "It's football. There will be adjustments to be made but we'll be able to call and text. For the most part we're doing the same draft prep we do in our offices, just without the human interaction."

While the reality is that the Cardinals – like the rest of the NFL – may not have any offseason on-field work, Kingsbury hasn't let that bog him down. Noting that his players still weren't scheduled to return, voluntarily, to the facility for another couple of weeks anyway, "up until this point nothing has really changed," Kingsbury said.

The team's IT department has set up Kingsbury in his home so that watching video is no different there than what he'd do in his office. His staff is already preparing, without in-person work, to do as much "tele-coaching" as possible.

Continue reading...