Chandler Jones Comes Up Short In 20-Sack Quest

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
owmlgujlk6xfic5oaq6c

LOS ANGELES – There was a pair of passes defensed and a tackle for loss, but Chandler Jones did not break Michael Strahan’s sack record Sunday against the Rams.

He didn’t reach 20 sacks either, after being shut out by a Rams’ pass protection scheme that was clearly working to keep him off quarterback Jared Goff during Sunday’s 31-24 Rams win at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

“I won’t use the word disappointment,” said Jones, who ended up second in the NFL in sacks after Tampa Bay’s Shaq Barrett’s big day left him with 19½ for the year. “Things didn’t go our way, but disappointment is not the word I’d use.”

Jones did get one quarterback hit, reaching Goff right after the release of the ball, but for the most part, he wasn’t close for a sack. Goff was sacked once Sunday – a combined effort from Cassius Marsh and Budda Baker – and was only sacked 22 times on the season.

“I knew that they’d have a plan, Sean (McVay) and his staff,” coach Kliff Kingsbury said. “They weren’t going to let him wreck the game. But he had tackles for loss, deflected a couple balls, he made his impact like he has his entire year. But they had a great scheme to not let him get home.”

Cornerback Patrick Peterson said he was sad Jones couldn’t get the sack title, but it didn’t detract from Jones’ big season.

“They put everybody who had a Ram uniform in front of him to slow him down,” Peterson said.

Jones, who is still going to the Pro Bowl, knew it was coming.

“Watch the film. Guys were sliding, they were chipping, they were doing everything they could for me not to get to the quarterback,” Jones said. “They did a good job at it.”

Continue reading...