Choosing Sides: How many yards will Bears rush for?

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
h7iarulqfy65tqxsthxk

Nathan Smith, ChicagoBears.com

Prediction:
The Bears will rush for 160 yards against the Giants.

Comment: The Giants gave up 141 yards on the ground against the Pittsburgh Steelers, most of which came from second-year running back Benny Snell Jr. Not only should the Bears be able to beat that mark, that should be a part of the game-plan, since so much is in flux with the passing game. This could be a real statement game for David Montgomery.

Alex Brown, former Bears defensive end

Prediction:
The Bears will rush for 110 yards against the Giants.

Comment: Looking into Week 2 and focusing on the run game, the opportunity to have a big day is there with the O-line coming off a strong performance in Week 1. The commitment to the run will be the key. I don't think any one back tops the 100-yard mark, but as a team the Bears will greatly increase their chances of winning if they rush for 130 yards.

Patrick Mannelly, former Bears long-snapper

Prediction:
The Bears will rush for 142 yards against the Giants.

Comment: I really like the run game-plan that Juan Castillo put together last week against the Lions. I feel the Bears will keep it rolling on the ground again this week and will top 100 yards again. Montgomery, Cohen and Patterson will combine to rush for 121 yards, and Mitch will add some yards to the total as well.

Jim Miller, former Bears quarterback

Prediction:
The Bears will rush for 172 yards against the Giants.

Comment: The Giants struggled stopping the run against the Steelers, who featured Benny Snell due to James Conner's ankle injury. David Montgomery should go over 100 yards if the offensive line plays as dedicated and the Bears remain committed to the run game like they were against the Lions last week.

Guest celebrity: Connie Payton

Prediction:
The Bears will rush for 135 yards against the Giants.

Comment: In their opener against the Steelers, the Giants gave up 113 yards on 19 carries to running back Benny Snell. Matt Nagy established the running game in Detroit last Sunday and I hope he commits to the ground game once again this weekend. Good things happen when you run the ball. If the Bears can establish a ground game this Sunday, they will be 2-0 headed into Week 3 of the season.

Recap of last week: Four of our six panelists correctly predicted that Jimmy Graham would score the Bears' first touchdown of the season. The veteran tight end caught a 2-yard TD pass from Mitchell Trubisky early in the fourth quarter, the first of Trubisky's three touchdown passes in the final period as the Bears erased a 23-6 deficit. So take a bow, Alex Brown, Patrick Mannelly, Jim Miller and Nathan Smith!