Co-Coordinators Andre Patterson & Adam Zimmer Explain Goals for Vikings Defense

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
ho6ue8xxvhzdaqhesbry

EAGAN, Minn. – There might not be a duo who knows Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer as well as Adam Zimmer and Andre Patterson do.

Adam has spent a lifetime learning from his father – and now seven years coaching with him at the NFL level. Patterson and Mike Zimmer have spent most of their careers together. They first overlapped back at Weber State in 1988 when, for reference, Adam was 4 years old.

Since Mike Zimmer took the Vikings helm in 2014, Adam has coached linebackers and Patterson has coached the defensive line.

Now, Adam and Patterson will join forces as Minnesota's co-defensive coordinators.

Sharing the role is a unique situation, to be sure, but Patterson assured that there are "no issues" with co-piloting the Vikings defense.

"I've known Adam since he was a little boy," Patterson told Twin Cities media members on Tuesday. "And obviously, Zim' and I have coached together a long time. So other than his three children and his mom, I'm probably the only other person that knows him better than he knows him.

"To me, that transition is very smooth," Patterson continued. "Adam and I have had great communication in the six years that we've been together [with the Vikings]. When Mike called us both in and asked us would we consider doing this, Adam and I got together and talked a lot of things through.

"I think it's going to be a great thing for our players, for our defense and for the Minnesota Vikings," he added. "So, I have no concerns about it whatsoever."

Adam spoke highly of the chance to work with Patterson in this role.

He emphasized how the two go "way back," recalling memories of his father and Patterson working together at Washington State from 1992-93, and similarly pointed out the respect and rapport they've had for one another over their time in Minnesota.

"We've already worked really closely together, so I don't think that will be a change now that we're both trying to put this all together in the grand scheme [of the defense]," Adam said.