Colts Could Have A Potential Chess Piece In Ben Banogu

Blue

Mar 19, 2019
iftn5ddwxqliyvgenf0y

INDIANAPOLIS — The Indianapolis Colts’ defensive rebuild was ahead of schedule by the end of the 2018 season, and they are now taking steps to move it to the next level in the 2019 NFL Draft.

After selecting cornerback Rock Ya-Sin with their first pick at No. 34, the Colts then drafted TCU edge defender Ben Banogu with the 49th overall pick in the second round. However, he may not be considered an edge defender for long.

Banogu has been listed as a linebacker by the Colts, and both he and Colts general manager provided some context as to why that is on Friday night.

“Look Ben is an intriguing athlete. We will probably start him out at SAM, but saying that we also think he has got a lot of rush to him. I hate comparing names but when Jamie Collins came out of Southern Miss, I saw the same type of athletic talent and I think when you watch the Senior Bowl – I mean he did some impressive things, now,” Ballard told reporters.

“They line him up at outside backer and rushed him, they rushed him from the three-technique, they played him at SAM, they played him at MIKE some,” Ballard continued. “We think he has got a lot of versatility and his speed and athleticism and ability to run down quarterbacks is important in this league. We think he is going to be great on our turf.”

Banogu’s ability to line up in different spots and perform different tasks is potentially a huge weapon for coordinator Matt Eberflus’ defense.