Colts Daily Notebook: Jacoby Brissett Limited For Second Straight Day

Blue

Mar 19, 2019
eieb1bqr51e3yizfbjj9

Keep kickin’

Adam Vinatieri is continuing to stay the course.

On Thursday, four days after his potential game-winning attempt from 43 yards out against the Steelers sailed wide left, Vinatieri told reporters that’s all he can do.

“Just go out and practice and work on your craft, you know?” Vinatieri said. “Not think about too much of the other stuff. We’ve got a lot of football left, and just try to go and watch film and see what we can improve on, go back out there and do it.”

Just one week ago, Vinatieri was fielding questions about nailing a game-winning 51-yard field goal against the Denver Broncos. That’s just the up-and-down nature of the NFL, and Vinatieri knows that better than any other player across the league.

“I think all of us go one game at a time,” Vinatieri said. “You can’t look too far in the future or too far behind you; you go through the game film this last week (and) like coach would say, you put it to bed — you watch the film, you correct stuff and you go back to work. So for me last week, last month, last whatever — year — is behind me, and just moving forward.”

Vinatieri this season has connected on 12-of-17 (70.6 percent) of his field goal attempts, and 14-of-19 (73.7 percent) of his extra-point tries.

He said it’s been “an interesting year to say the least,” but he remains confident in his abilities, as well as those on the field goal and extra point units with him, including long snapper Luke Rhodes and punter/holder Rigoberto Sanchez, who Vinatieri says “are as good as any guys I’ve ever played with.”

Rhodes and Sanchez have each taken blame for their respective roles in the missed kick last Sunday against the Steelers — the ball was kicked with the laces facing the kicker — but Vinatieri says it’s ultimately on him to put the ball between the uprights, no matter what.

“Listen: my two counterparts are awesome, all the guys that are up front do a great job. We’ve all kind of beat ourselves up a little bit over this because it wasn’t a perfect operation all the way around, but that’s just one of those things,” he said. “They do a great job, and I’ve got all the confidence in the world in them. So I’ll take that on me; I need to make them.”